Monday 25 January 2016

Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2016 - Part 3

In this post I will show you a number of quilts with houses.

This quilt has such fine details and a great variety of buildings all set in a beautiful  townscape.
 'Town walking' by Rieko Miyamura*「街歩き」宮村理恵子

In contrast, these houses are from a Swedish village in the northern district of Dalarna. On a dark, cold and snowy day in December, the red timbered houses stand out.


 The May Pole is left standing after the June festival.
'SWEDEN HOUSE' by Mikiko Miyoshi*三好美紀子

To celebrate her 25th wedding anniversary, this quilter made a house with houses or treasures inside each room. By sticking to few colours and keeping the red in the same value, the quilt is calm in spite of all that is happening in it. I love the nest building activities on the roof.

 Wedding Anniversary 25 years by Yasuyo Kon(?) Chik(?) (I'm sorry I don't know which pronounciation the quilter uses for her surname)*「結婚25周年」均康代

This is truly international!
Japanese fabric has been used for the American school house quilt design to make a small town of German half timbered houses
 'Fachwerkhaus' by Satomi Tominaga*富永聡美

15 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

So many beautiful quilts. I really like the Swedish one, and all the hand quilting on it. I recently made a house quilt (one house!) that is so amateur compared to these.

Séverine said...

These quilts are beautiful.I love the sweden houses and the snowy trees.

Janie said...

Jaw dropping fabulous. Look at those details!
Thanks for sharing, Queenie.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, that is a good expression!

Queeniepatch said...

The scene is very realistic; I can feel the cold, raw air and the gloomy darkness.

Queeniepatch said...

The quilt is made in the 'Yoko Saito' style with plenty of linear quilting. House quilts are always forgiving - ANY architecture, ANY condition, ANY style is OK; charming log cabins, fairy tale castles, glass and concrete office buildings or rambling shacks, I am sure your house is just lovely.

Julie Fukuda said...

I see you got the picture of the building with the flag out front. That was really an amazing quilt with the detail in the quilting and embroidery. Keep up the great posts!

margaret said...

loving these quilts with houses such talented people in the quilting world

Isabelle said...

These quits are so beautiful and what a nice work : I love !!!
Thanks so much Queenie :)

Queeniepatch said...

Well, I just HAD to include that picture!!!
More quilts in next blog post.

Queeniepatch said...

I noticed there were a number of 'house' quilts and decided to feature them as a theme this time. Unfortunately I missed to take photo of some of them - too many people to take good pictures.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, there were many nice quilts, unfortunately I did not take a lot of pictures, so do check out the links to others' blog posts.

crazyQstitcher said...

What an eye opener to be in the building with so many stupendous quilts. And they really are that.
The dedication and imagination that go into each amazes me. I love every one you have shown Queenie. I do love the Swedish one.
Thanks for the photos and sharing them.

Queeniepatch said...

The venue is huge and there are plenty of quilts to look at; if you are tall enough to see over others' heads! It is CROWDED, which is one reason I did not take a lot of photos. There were many quilts I liked but when I saw the Swedish one it braought me right back to a cold, raw Swedish winter's day - it was as if the cold came oozing out of the quilt!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What a treat to browse through all three posts and glimpse the festival through your eyes (and without the crowds;). Thanks for reporting! ONE of these years I will make it back to Tokyo and will try to time my visit to coincide with the festival!