Friday 28 April 2017

Friday Homework for Lesson 19: Satin Stitch Outline

Satin Stitch Outline is a nice stitch to work, but I am a bit disappointed with the result. I find that the line stands stands out all right, high and tight like a cord, but it still looks lumpy. Is it the Coton a Broder that I have used? Would stranded cotton floss have been better? Or silk?

Instead of using it for some writing, I drew a plant with heart shaped leaves, and I will add other stitches to it so it can be turned into a greeting card.

I hope to have the completed card ready for show on Wednesday's WIPW report.

14 comments:

Rachel said...

It might be that a little experimentation is required. Stranded cotton might "spread out" more and not bunch up...

Queeniepatch said...

I certainly will try other types of thread just for the fun of experimenting!

Janie said...

I like how it looks, just as it is. I suppose you're trying to get a more 'formal' look and with a bit of experimenting you'll come up with a way to get that look I'm sure.
Thanks for sharing your stitches.

chitra said...

I need to practice more. yours is very much better.

Pamela said...

I think it looks great!

margaret said...

you certainly get a very raised look to this stitch it works beautifully as a heart

Queeniepatch said...

In Whitework, it would certainly need to get a formal look. As a free form embroidery stitch, however, lumpy might be good! I want to manage both!

Queeniepatch said...

It requires a lot of patience, and maybe much cooler weather than the heat you are suffering at the moment!

Queeniepatch said...

For a lumpy look, it is a great stitch!

Queeniepatch said...

I will see what additional stitches will do to the overall look.

crazyQstitcher said...

What lovely work you've done here. I managed one row on Aida, finishing better than the beginning but far more practise is in order.

Queeniepatch said...

Aida is NOT the fabric for this stitch!
I am experimenting with different threads now to see which is best.

Annet said...

Your stitches look very nice. I'm not a fan of satin stitch and have not tried this variation, maybe some day . . .

Queeniepatch said...

While working on my homework and trying different threads I have found that the split in the Split Running stitch is the culprit.