Sunday 2 April 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 17: Q Stitch

The needle lacing stitch of last Sunday was a bit of a challenge. So for this week the stitch is an easy one - the Q Stitch.

Never heard of it? I must confess I haven't either. If you have, and know its real name, please leave a comment below.

Until now I have presented the stitches in an alphabetical order and we have reached Q.
I have found two stitches beginning with this letter, the Queen Stitch, better known as Rococo Stitch and Quick Stitch, which is a woven stitch.
Instead of using either, this time I played with the idea of forming a stitch in the shape of the letter Q.

Well, a Detached Chain Stitch with loose tension and anchored with a tilted tail would make a capital Q, wouldn't it?

Work it like this:




 and you get a Q!

A row of Qs on Aida.

Homework:
A lesson in penmanship!
Practice your Qs.

12 comments:

Pamela said...

Interesting! First time I have heard of this stitch. Reminds me of something my grandmother used to say - "Mind your P's and Q's".

margaret said...

how cool is that you now have a stitch you have invented I wonder when it will appear in new stitch books

Janie said...

That's an improvisational stitch if I ever saw one!
There's a lot you could do with that, skies the limit.

Queeniepatch said...

I have never seen it either, and I just MIGHT have invented it!!!
This is interesting reading of 'mind your P's and Q's': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_your_Ps_and_Qs
WHICH is the original meaning!?

Queeniepatch said...

Ha, ha!

carorose said...

What about the P's? The two are nornally seen together.

Queeniepatch said...

I agree, you can use this stitch for many things. Right now I am scribbling my penmanship homework!

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, how can I mind my P's? I will have to have a little think about this!

Annet said...

That's a creative stitch!

Queeniepatch said...

I think it has a lot of potential.

chitra said...

I worked on this stitch sampler today.
https://jizee6687.wordpress.com/2017/04/13/sss-17-q-stitch/
Thank you,
Chitra

Queeniepatch said...

I had a look, and am speechless! You come up with the most fantastic variations. The Twisted Chain Q Stitch is especially impressive.