Sunday 13 August 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 32: Chinese Cross Stitch

Today we are having a Geography lesson. We are visiting China to learn the Chinese Cross Stitch.

Unfortunately I have not found any information regarding its name, nor its origin, and the only book I have found it in is in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches.

I wonder why, as it is an easy, fun and most attractive stitch with its pleasant geometric pattern. Any information you might have, I'd be happy to hear about.

Work it like this:








Now you have one individual stitch.

To make a nice row, come out in the lower leg of the right cross,



 and start all over again.
Then start over from the upper leg.


 It is quick work, and you will soon have a nice geometric pattern,

or make individual stitches in alternating lines.

It would be fun and easy to change the length and height of the 'arms' and 'legs', and create free form patterns.

Also the little squares created at the intersections could be filled with French Knots, Cross Stitch or beads.

On the Aida sampler I made individual stitches:

Homework:
1) Add a row of Chinese Cross Stitches:

2) Play with free form:



14 comments:

jacaranda said...

A simple yet effective stitch.

Pamela said...

I hadn't heard of this stitch before. I like it.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it has a lot of potential.

Queeniepatch said...

Wouldn't this be good for one of your cq seams?

Janie said...

Yes, I like that stitch too.
Perfect for free form filler adding texture.
I think that stitch could be made to look like
little people walking around.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it could be made to look like a lot of different things.

Anonymous said...

Encore un joli point,
le nom français est :
- point de croix chinois
Une traduction du Mary Thomas en français
et je n'ai rien trouvé d'autre non plus en ce qui concerne ce point
Mattia

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

One day I WILL try out some of these stitches.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you Mattia, for this information:
Another nice point,
The French name is:
- Chinese cross stitch
A translation of Mary Thomas in French
And I have not found anything else with regard to this point

I am glad you have the French translation of MT's book.

Queeniepatch said...

This is an easy stitch, and perfect for individual stitches, so try it out on a small project, one day. No rush!

margaret said...

this will certainly come in for my crazy blocks. Kumiko Frydl was at FOQ with loads of her work how amazing she is thought of you as soon as I saw her.

Rachel said...

It's a lovely stitch, isn't it. I don't think I've seen it anywhere except Mary Thomas, either...

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, Kumiko Fred's quilts are stunning, those Mariner's Compasses with tips so sharp you could cut yourself on them!
Enjoy the show and get lots of inspiration!

Queeniepatch said...

I wonder where it got its name from. Any ideas?