Wednesday 11 October 2017

WIPW - MOLA Try Outs and Preparation

Work In Progress Wednesday. This week I have only the new

MOLA
project to report on.
Last week I had got this far on my sampler.

Since then I have made some of the slits with fabric inserted.
These long ones were easy.

With the triangles and squares I hit a problem; the pieces I inserted were a bit too scant, and as I also failed to place them exactly underneath the holes, raw edges peeped out! 
From now on I will be using a pair of pointed tweezers to place the pieces correctly and hold them in place with a pin until the first edge is sewn down.


I also noticed that the fabric frays too much so I will opt for as much batik as possible for this project.

For the top layer, though,  I will use the remains of the black sheeting I used to back Trinity Green, but I will fix the edges with fray guard at tricky points.

 
I polished the design sketch, made some notes

and marked the black top,
then basted the three layers together.






16 comments:

Elizabeth's quarters said...

Where would we be without pointed tweezers? After needle, thread and scissors, they must be the most used tool. Your mola is looking fantastic, I've recently done some, and found the hardest part was constantly thinking in reverse—I also got the odd frayed edge!

Rachel said...

It is certainly looking promising - it's an intriguing technique, isn't it!

Pamela said...

I do want to try this. You make it look easier than I think it is!

Queeniepatch said...

There are so many tools of the trade - as you say in your book. It is good to have the right one for the right situation.

Queeniepatch said...

It is a bit like diving in at the deep end of the pool. I have to think in reverse which is not easy, for me at least.

Queeniepatch said...

Ms Nakayama makes these fantastic Mola quilts and I always stand at quilt shows and drool in front of them. SHE makes it look easier than I think it is!

Annet said...

You're making good progress!

chitra said...

looks like an interesting project. me going for some search on the subject of mola quilts!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

We learn from our mistakes but I bet you'll be an expert when you've finished this project.

jacaranda said...

Looking good, a process that I must give a go.

Janie said...

That is looking beautiful. Great little stitches, Queenie.

Queeniepatch said...

I am itching to start the actual sewing!

Queeniepatch said...

I thought you would be interested in the Mola traditional folk wear; after all you are always making beautiful garments.

Queeniepatch said...

I am so glad I tested the technique on that little scrap. Hopefully I will not make the same mistake again.

Queeniepatch said...

You will then be in our group: Tanya, Julie, Jenni and Queenie!

Queeniepatch said...

I am really wanting to get started on this project.