Sunday 26 November 2017

Sunday Stitch School: Lesson 45 - Leaf Stitch

We have stepped on soft Moss, pricked ourselves on Thorns, breathed in the fragrance of Thousand Flowers and Rambling Roses. What else can we do in the garden? Kick Leaves, of course!

Today's stitch at Sunday Stitch School is Leaf Stitch.
Although I have seen several instructions in books, the best one is over at Kimberly Quimet. Her photos are far better than mine, but I will add these anyway.

Mattia tells me the French name is, Point de Fueilla.

The Leaf Stitch is basically a cross worked in the order of 1-2-3-4, as shown below.



 The next cross is started inside the first one.



After that you just go on.


This week you have a lot of
Homework:
 1) add a row of leaves to the Aida sampler.


2) a sprinkling of leaves on the Sunday Stitch School sampler, if you please,

and finally
3) brighten up this wet asphalt with some fallen leaves


20 comments:

Renee said...

Your leaves are going to look amazing on the "wet asphalt"! Beautiful color combinations.

Janie said...

Nice leaf stitch.
The colors you've chosen are fall time colors.
When I look out the window those are the colors I see.
There's also a lot of yellow leaves on the ground, I think they're
from cottonwood trees.

Pamela said...

Great stitch! I'm sure your fallen leaves will be fabulous!

Queeniepatch said...

I have already finished my homework, and can say: You are right, amazing!

Queeniepatch said...

I finished the homework last night (Sunday night, what a good student, eh). The colours look great but I did not use any yellow.
I have never seen a cottonwood tree.

Queeniepatch said...

They are! I finished my homework last night, believe it or not!

Anonymous said...

le nom français de ce point est :
- point de feuille
Mattia

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Mattia, for the French name. I will update the blog post.

Annet said...

Such a pretty stitch, it looks like a variation of raised close herringbone stitch.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I see form your comments that you have finished your homework and I'm looking forward to seeing it. It is easy to see why it is called leaf stitch.

Julie Fukuda said...

I was lucky to get Wally's initials embroidered on the napkin with simple ordinary stitches that wouldn't look like a tangled mess on the back.

Queeniepatch said...

I had a look at your TAST 2010 samplers and think it look similar. Sharon has removed the Closed Herringbone Stitch from her Stitch Dictionary, so I don't know how it is worked.

Queeniepatch said...

It took a bit of time to learn the movement, but once you got it , the stitch is easy. Having said that, it is NOT easy on Aida fabric!

Queeniepatch said...

Good for you! I am sure he will love the gifts of love you give him!

Catherine said...

This is always such a fun stitch! You have done such a lovely job too. It’s never easy photographing stitches!

carorose said...

Always a good stitch.

Queeniepatch said...

It was hard to learn this stitch from the books, but Kimberley's instructions and clean photos turned it into child's play!
I guess most bloggers are amateur photographers without spotlights and tripods and whatnots to help take good photos.

Queeniepatch said...

It is perfect for a nice leaf!

Annet said...

It's hided here:
http://pintangle.com/2010/09/27/tast-2010-week-31-raised-close-herringbone-stitch/

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you!
I HAVE the book from where Sharon took the stitch, and I just failed to notice.
The difference between the stitches is that the Leaf Stitch bites the fabric and the Raised Closed Herringbone stitch is worked over a bar. I will have to give it a try.